Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Love is Love


Not even a year ago you would know me as the girl that never wanted kids. Even the sound of the word "baby" made me want to run in the opposite direction. I really thought I would be fine for the rest of my life with out kids. But one day recenlty, it hit me. Nothing happened to make me change my mind. I just did. And it's definitley not in my near future, but in the next 5 years I plan on it.
Which brings my to my point.... Before I ever thought about having a family I never put much thought into gay rights. But as I am getting older, the thought that I won't be able to marry the one I love and have the same rights as everyone else really gets to me. No, I do not need a piece of paper to prove anything. But it's not about proving something. It's about having the right of having joint parenting, joint adoption, joint custody, inheritance, tax benifits, etc. If something were to happen to me, my girfriend would not have the right to any of my property or the things that we bought together unless I left a will. If we had a child that one of us adopted, she wouldn't have rights to the child.
I think more often than not, Lesbian relationships are not taken very seriously. Whether it's by society or by the actual people involved in the relationship. The truth is, there are actual girls that really are in love with each and because of the stereotype and people that give us a bad name, we can't be taken seriously. It is true, many lesbian relationships don't last becuase most "lesbians" aren't really lesbians and end up leaving the realtionship and going back to guys. So... thanks for giving us a bad rep.
Hopefully one day we will all have the same rights, but until then I am going to continue to do what makes me happy regardless of what society thinks. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment